In the 1970s, the Senate Select Committee to Study Governmental
Operations With Respect to Intelligence Activities (aka Church Committee)
investigated CIA plots to assassinate foreign leaders, including
Patrice Lumumba of the Congo, Fidel Castro of Cuba, Rafael Trujillo
of the Dominican Republic, Ngo Dinh Diem of South Vietnam, and General
Rene Schneider of Chile. The Church Committee also conducted a limited
re-investigation of the JFK assassination.
This CD-ROM presents the publicly available transcripts of interviews
conducted by the Committee in its assassination investigations.
More than 125 transcripts provide a unique and compelling window
into a rare moment in American history. Accompanying these transcripts
are important reports and documents, including the Committee's Interim
Report on assassination plots, the so-called Schweiker-Hart Report
on the JFK assassination and the (in-)famous 1967 CIA Inspector
General's Report on CIA plots to assassinate Fidel Castro.
Detailed List of Contents
More than 125 electronic transcripts of interviews relating
to assassination plots:
- James Angleton
- William Atwood
- Richard Bissell
- William Colby
- Sheffield Edwards
- Judith Campbell Exner
- Richard Goodwin
- Samuel Halpern
- William Harvey
- Richard Helms
- James Hosty
- Lawrence Houston
- E. Howard Hunt
- Edward Kennedy
- Edward Lansdale
- Robert Maheu
- Victor Marchetti
- John McCone
- Robert McNamara
- James O'Connell
- Kenneth O'Donnell
- David Phillips
- Fletcher Prouty
- Johnny Roselli
- Walt Rostow
- Dean Rusk
- Gordon Shanklin
- George Smathers
- Ted Sorenson
- Frank Sturgis
- William Sullivan
- Tad Szulc
- Santos Trafficante
- Bronson Tweedy
- John Witten ("Scelso")
- and many more.....
Additional Reports and Documents:
- Alleged Assassination Plots Involving Foreign Leaders.
The so-called "Interim Report" stands as the premiere
document on CIA plots to assassinate foreign leaders.
- The Investigation of the Assassination of President John
F. Kennedy: Performance of the Intelligence Agencies. The
"Schweiker-Hart Report" detailed ways in which the FBI
and CIA failed in their support of the Warren Commission investigating
the JFK assassination.
- 1967 CIA Inspector General's Report. Under orders of
President Johnson, CIA Director Richard Helms commissioned this
internal CIA report on plots to assassinate Fidel Castro.
- Finding Aids. Table of contents of all 56 boxes of Church
Committee records declassified under the 1992 JFK Assassination
Records Collection Act. Nine of these boxes were released as recently
as the summer of 2000.
- Other Church Committee files:
- References to FBI Review of Tapes of Oswald's Oct. 1, 1963
Mexico City Conversation
- Committee Report: The Intelligence Agencies and the Assassination
of President Kennedy
- Preliminary Report of Investigation into the Assassination
of President Kennedy
- Oswald in New Orleans
- J. Lee Rankin Letters to CIA (Correspondence File)
- J. Lee Rankin Letters to State Department
- and more...
- High-quality scanned images. Documents are stored in
Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF), which features exact visual
reproduction in combination with text searchability. The Adobe
Acrobat Reader is used for viewing.
- Instant text searching. Full-text search of the entire
collection of transcripts, reports, and documents (over 10,000
pages in all).
- Help tutorial, historical overview, and more. Helpful
tutorial pages, an overview of the assassination plots and the
Church Committee's findings, information on the AARC and the National
Archives, and more
- Print Options. Print individual pages or entire documents
- PC with Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, or XP, or Macintosh
- Web browser (Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader